[CLUE-Tech] tape backups

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Aug 15 17:06:40 MDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 08:18:26PM -0600, Jim Ockers wrote:
>real optimizations to the bytestream they feed to the tape drive,
>to avoid the "shoeshining" on the drive caused by insufficient buffering.

I believe that "star" is meant to be an optimized tar for better dealing
with high-speed output tape drives where double-buffering and the like are
required.

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/star.html

Sean
--
 -rw-rw-rw-:  File permissions of the beast.  (Chuck Phillips)
 mknod /dev/beast c 6 66