[CLUE-Tech] Radeon Derived Crashes

Jeremiah Stanley lists at miah.org
Mon Aug 19 15:13:31 MDT 2002

I currently have an ATI Radeon VIVO (not the 8k or 7k series, the one
previous to those) plugged into an FIC motherboard. I am experiencing
lockups in X and I'm trying to figure out what part of the system is the
culprit.

Up until about XFree86 4.2 and RedHat 7.3 whenever I tried to do
anything that called for a 3D library my system would hard lock
(couldn't move the mouse, keyboard stopped working) instantly or if it
ran it would take about 5 min for the system to lock.

I can currently run 3D apps without flaw but the DPMS settings in X
(like the screensaver and monitor blanking) seem to be malfunctioning.
Sometimes the machine won't come back out of DPMS sleep, and it will
black the monitor at inapropriate times, like when I was first typing
this email out.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has had trouble in general with their
Radeon based graphics cards? I'm looking at replacing my hardware piece
by piece and I'd like to start with something that will alleviate my
crashing. Google didn't return anything on my model crashing and I've
had some problems with RAM (some RAM was bad) and this motherboard
(likes to not POST some times).

Let me know what experience you all have. I'm looking for similar
experience to verify my suspicion that my mobo sucks. I'd also take some
advice on a good memory tester to see if I have bad memory as well.

JStanley