[CLUE-Tech] mpg123 - recursively play directories? (solved?)

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Aug 26 17:28:29 MDT 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 18:57:35 -0400 (EDT)
Adam Bultman <adamb at glaven.org> wrote:

> Here's a zinger:
>
> How can you *randomize* that now?  I use xmms, and it's 'random' play
> plays in the exact same order every single day.  If I don't 'randomize'
> the list, I listen to the same music every day over and over again. And,
> random play isn't that random - it doesn't jump all over, and tends to
> play like, 10 songs away.....

Well, "mpg123 --help" reveals the "--random" and "--shuffle" options.

Also note that using the find command, with no selection criteria returns
directories as well as the files in them, so using "find /path -type f |
xargs mpg123 --shuffle" would seem to be the way to go. I note the the
"{}\;" syntax mentioned earlier for xargs doesn't seem to have any effect,
except for causing mpg123 to complain about "file not found" for those
tokens. I don't see it on the xargs man page, and it looks particularly
"find"-ish.

I note that mpg123's response to CTRL_C is to jump to the next track. A
couple of quick CRTL_Cs in succession will cause it to both skip forward,
and go to the background. I wonder what the author decided to use as the
"keyboard kill"?

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5