[CLUE-Tech] Kernel compiling questions

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Tue Aug 27 20:56:29 MDT 2002

Dave Price wrote:
> ... Lynn Danielson wrote:
>>In the SuSE kernel "Tekram DC395/U/UW and DC315/U SCSI support" shows up
>>just after "Symbios 53c416 SCSI support" and just before "Tekram DC390(T)
>>and Am53/79C974 SCSI support".  I hate to rub it in, but no patching was
>>required.
>
> debian's 2.4.18 only has: Tekram DC390(T) and Am53/79C974 SCSI support

SuSE modifies their kernel a fair bit.  Not everybody likes this and in
one instance I found that a stock Linux kernel worked better for me. (I
was compiling in support for a TV card if I recall correctly.)  What I
typically like about the SuSE kernel is that they tend to include drivers
that haven't made it into the lastest stable kernel version.  I'm not
sure whether this is because the kernel developers don't think the code
is ready for prime time yet or if haven't had time to test the code.
SuSE works on developing their own drivers, especiall X servers, which
they release community after they've included it in their product for a
period of time.

But back to the Mike's original question.  I wasn't trying to be flippant
in my response.  I would expect the driver to show up in the SCSI low
level driver section.  In my .config file the parameter is
CONFIG_SCSI_DC395x_TRMS1040=m for compiling in modular support.

Looking in the ./drivers/scsi directory I find a README file which
describes the dc395x driver as beta, "I would currently not suggest to
use this driver, if you are dealing with important data, which you don't
have a backup of! YOU RISK DATA LOSS!"  Mike probably got the same
readme with his patch, so I'll assume he's OK with that.

Looking in my ./drivers/scsi/Makefile I see the following line:
obj-$(CONFIG_SCSI_DC395x_TRMS1040)      += dc395x_trm.o
I would expect Mike to have a similar line in his scsi/Makefile.

Hope this helps,

Lynn