[CLUE-Tech] Stump the stiffs III: Wrecked MBRs

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Fri Aug 30 06:21:14 MDT 2002

On 29 Aug 2002 14:02:33 -0600 Ed Hill <ed at eh3.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 13:18, grant.johnson at twcable.com wrote:
> > I have the LILO half.
>

> Ok, heres the grub half.  And note that I haven't had a chance to
> actually test this, but the "info grub" and "info grub-install" docs
> suggest something like:
>
>   root at XXX $ grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda
>
> to rewrite the MBR of the first ide disk.

Just a side note - the grub documentation warns that grub-install may
not always work.  The "standard" way to get grub bootable is (as
root):

1. Create /boot/grub directory

2. Copy *stage* from where grub is installed to /boot/grub

3. Create /boot/grub/menu.lst  (a stanza for each bootable partition)

4. grub

5. root (hd0,0)     (partition where /boot/grub is located. Mine is on
hda1; yours may be different if you use a /boot partition )

6. setup (hd0)      (drive where the mbr is to be written)

enjoy,
--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD? - Code Python
gentoo(since 01/01/01) kernel 2.4.18+(ext3) xfce-sylpheed-skipstone