[CLUE-Tech] Root fs as ext3.

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Aug 30 18:37:52 MDT 2002

I converted a server to ext3 a while back.  It crashed recently and I
discovered (the hard way of course) that it was using ext2 for /.  So
I've spent the day learning about initrd, cramfs, and ext3.

The mount command may report the fs type incorrectly.  Look at
/proc/mounts for the real story.

The problem turned out that the old change_root method didn't work with
kernels where ext2 was compiled in and ext3 was a module.  This was
reported on the debian lists and the new initrd-tools package fixes the
problem.  Supposedly pivot_root is used instead of change_root, but I
don't see that anywhere in the initrd linuxrc script.  Any debian gurus
know the answer?

I also came across this for the first time:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/