[CLUE-Tech] redhat upgrade

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Dec 7 15:28:14 MST 2002

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 15:00, Jason S. Friedman wrote:
> I've got the three RedHat 8.0 discs in hand, and an existing box
> running 7.3.
>
> A few weeks ago I tried upgrading my kernel, ran into problems, and
> stopped.  I have a suspicion that if I power down my box I will have
> problems re-booting it.

> So, I want to upgrade, but do not want to turn off my box.  Do I have
> any options?

Hi Jason,

Are you worried that theres a power problem with the hardware (thus
causing failed boots) or are you worried that the kernel(s) that are
shipped with Red Hat 8 won't boot correctly on your HW?

If its the latter concern, then do you have a spare hard disk that you
could swap into the box while you swap out the existing one?

If so, then you could do a fresh (perhaps minimal) install on the new
drive and see if the machine boots and works correctly.  This would be a
very safe way to test how well RH 8 works on that system since, at any
time, its a snap to swap in the old hard drive and have your existing
system back *exactly* the way that it was when you last used it.

I used to use this approach when installing Red Hat versions 5.x/6.x/7.0
on my workstation since, back then, the upgrade option often didn't work
well.  With hard disks in the <$100 range this is a bargain considering
the peace-of-mind that it provides.

good luck!
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483