[CLUE-Tech] ISO images from Audio CD's?

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Dec 8 19:56:05 MST 2002

Randy Arabie wrote:
[...]

> Somewhat off-topic...I understand from this thread that it isn't
> possible to just "copy" an audio CD?
>
> For example, I have a regular CDROM drive and a CD-Writer drive.  I
> can't put an audio CD in the CDROM and make a copy of it with my
> CD-Writer?

Try it.  I have copied ISO (heck, Joliet even, maybe) CDs like this:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=cd.iso

Works good.  Neat thing is that the burned CDs and the .iso can be
compared with diff to verify the write (though somehow both differ from
the original CD).

I don't know if it will work with an audio CD but it's easy to try.

One issue is that you won't get perfect copies.  Audio CDs don't have
ECC code in the data blocks so read errors will be undetected.
Shouldn't matter though (it doesn't when you listen to it).  More detail
at http://www.cdrfaq.org/