cdrdao (WAS Re: [CLUE-Tech] ISO images from Audio CD's?)

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Mon Dec 9 08:14:15 MST 2002

Timothy C. Klein wrote:
[...]

>>Why?  Can't you just change out the drivers (assuming they are all
>>modules)?  True, you can't write to it as a CDRW and read from it as a
>>DVD at the same time...
>>

> Because, to simplify the job of the burning software, it only
> understands SCSI commands.  So, as far as I know, it started with
> cdrecord.  Only devices that have a SCSI interface can be used by
> cdrecord.  So, if you wanted to pipe information from one CD into
> cdrecord and right back out to another CD, cdrecord can only read from
> a CD drive if it speaks SCSI.

No, I think you are missing my point.  ATAPI CD drives (DVD, CDRW,
whatever, that use an IDE controller) can be controlled by either the
IDE driver or the SCSI driver.  If you want to write to a CD, you have
to use the SCSI driver because SCSI supports features that IDE doesn't
(and Joerg Schilling used it in cdrecord which has little competition).

If you want to read from an ATAPI drive, you can use either the IDE
drivers or the SCSI drivers.  If IDE works better for you, use those.
If your drivers are modules, it shouldn't be hard to switch them out.
Probably your IDE driver loads first.  Probably you have settings
(modules.conf) to tell it not to grab the burner.  Probably you'll have
to adjust that.  Once you understand it, write a script to make it easy.