[CLUE-Tech] shell programming

Marcin marbej at wp.pl
Wed Dec 11 10:15:17 MST 2002

Dear friends,

> (reaches for O'Reilly's bash book)
O'Reilly is very good!!! :) I have to found out if we have got a polish
translation of some O'Reilly's bash books in Poland.
I've found on the internet web side entitled "Advanced Bash-Scripting
Guide" , author Mendel Cooper. It seems quite nice ;-)

> A couple of things ... $USER and $user are not the same
I will remember this. Variables like e.g. $USER, $HISTSIZE etc. write
capital letters. Not $hostname but $HOSTNAME ;-) And spaces of course.

I ran my script with $USER , $UID, and $LOGNAME. Now it works very good!
Thank you all !
Thanks to this script I discovered that command "su" and "su -" aren't
the same ;-) "su" give me only root's UID. "su -" give me root's USER
and UID.

> [davep at ldpx:~/bin]$ export user=billgates
> [davep at ldpx:~/bin]$ export uid=666
What can I say. Only one: ;-))))))))))))

> Hope this helps!
Yes, of course!!! And thank you very , very much !!!

--
Greetings from Poland,
Marcin Betlej
e-mail: marbej at wp.pl