[CLUE-Tech] Debian beer Tux

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 13 07:22:08 MST 2002

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 05:59:05PM -0700, Roger Frank wrote:
> When Debian boots, it shows Tux holding a beer.  I'd like to use
> Debian at the high school but a penguin with a brew just won't do.
> It looks like I have to recompile the kernel to change that image.
> I thought there might be an easier way.  Ideas?

As far as I know, you do have to recompile the kernel (you can provide
an alternative image after some script magic - I'm sure you've seen this
in Documentation).

Tux is displayed when a framebuffer is loaded, and if I recall
correctly, it is either only if the fb is compiled into the kernel, or
only until you clear your terminal window.  These may be two reasonable
solutions - my point being that fb is built into my kernel, but I don't
see tux anymore so something definetely makes him go away, figure out
what it is and add to boot.local (or the debian equivilent).  If you
load the fb as a module, you can add a post- script to configuration to
modules.conf.

Just my 2c
-
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
kehellman at yahoo.com               from disclaimer import standard

"We are born wet, naked, and hungry. Then things get worse."

--Unknown