[CLUE-Tech] Debian beer Tux

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Dec 13 10:53:26 MST 2002

* Roger Frank (rfrank at rfrank.us) wrote:
> When Debian boots, it shows Tux holding a beer.  I'd like to use
> Debian at the high school but a penguin with a brew just won't do.
> It looks like I have to recompile the kernel to change that image.
> I thought there might be an easier way.  Ideas?
>
> ---
> Roger Frank

Where did you get this version of Debian?  I see Tux when I boot, but I
have never noticed that he is holding a beer!

Tux can only show up if the framebuffer module is loaded.  You might
check to see if the framebuffer is compiled as a module:  if it is, just
don't let it load.  Either remove it from /etc/modules if it is in there,
or try to find the offending line in /etc/modules/* and kill it.  As
last resort, you could just take the framebuffer module out of the
/lib/module/<kernel-version> directory.  fb is not needed, *but*, if the
regular console support weren't compiled in, your machine might not boot
after you removed the module, so use care.

There is also some way, I'm sure, to customize what image, if any, fb
shows when it boots, but I don't have any idea what the mechanism is.

Tim