[CLUE-Tech] Slow XWindow :-(

Marcin marbej at wp.pl
Sun Dec 15 01:57:24 MST 2002

Hello,

Do anyone know why my XWindow is slow?
I've been using RedHat 7.3 and Debian GNU/Linux 3.0.
For example (in RedHat) :
runing KDE :          it takes me about 53 sec.
runing Quanta+ :    it takes me about 48 sec.
runing Konqueror :  it takes me about 18 sec.
runing KMail :        it takes me about 43 sec.

Is it normal?

My computer is :
CPU :    AMD K6
Graph. : Trident 3DImage 975
RAM :   96 MB
SWAP : 256 MB
HDD :    IDE 30 GB

I divided my HDD :
hda2 SWAP            256 MB
hda1 Win2K (vfat)    2.7 GB
hda5 Debian (ext2)  5 GB
hda6 RedHat (ext2)  5 GB
hda7 vfat                13 GB
hda8 vfat                3 GB

In the past I had another partitions, and my Linux was slow too :-(
Is Linux slower than Win2K ??? I don't believe, but why my Linux is slow? Do I need better CPU ?
In Debian I compiled my kernel, but runing e.g. KDE or Konqueror take me so much time like in RedHat.

--
Greetings from Poland,
Marcin Betlej
e-mail: marbej at wp.pl