[CLUE-Tech] Slow XWindow :-(

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Dec 15 11:55:18 MST 2002

On Sun, 2002-12-15 at 09:48, Marcin wrote:
> Dnia nie 15. grudzien 2002 06:14, Warren Raquel napisal:
>
> > Do you have the 'mem=nopentium' option set when you boot? If not try
> > it and see what happens.
> No, I don't, but when I've added it nothing changed :-( My XWindowd are still slow.
> I've added this option into /etc/lilo.conf (append="mem=nopentium")
> When I boot my Linux, system see all RAM. My Linux's got 94 MB of RAM available. Look at first lines of my /var/log/dmesg :

[snip]

> I've also tryed add "mem=96M" otpion. (96 is size of my RAM - 96 MB).

Hi Marcin,

KDE is a resource hog.  It takes up a fair amount of both memory and
cycles, so its not surprising that a 233Mhz system with 96Meg RAM is a
bit slow.  Ways of speeding things up (in order of increasing price)
are:

  1) Turn off programs/daemons that you don't need.  After an
     install I always go into the startup scripts (/etc/rc#.d/)
     and shut off services that I don't need.  For instance,
     turning off apache can free up a fair amount of RAM.  I
     have little experience with KDE but I'm sure there are
     options that you can tweak to make it leaner.  Perhaps
     others can help you with this...?

  2) Buy more RAM.  If KDE and its programs are digging into
     swap (which is likely at 96Meg) then an upgrade will
     probably give a noticeable boost for a relatively
     small cost.

  3) Upgrade the CPU.  If its possible, I'd upgrade the CPU
     only after first upgrading RAM since I think its more
     likely that your system is constrained by the memory.

Good luck!
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483