[CLUE-Tech] atmfonts?

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Dec 16 15:55:33 MST 2002

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 04:17:18PM -0700, Lynn Danielson wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 00:54, Dave Price wrote:
> >
> > I am able to install and use .ttf fonts fine.  But my old windoze
> > backups also have .pdb files to which I think I am licensed.
>
> If they're Microsoft fonts, I'm pretty sure that your license
> specifically excludes their use on any other platform then MS
> Windows.

Really? My impression was that the licenses specified they could only be
installed on one system at a time, not necessarily Windows.

> I think you can simply drop them into your X11 font directories.
> For example, to use abc___.pfb font you should be able to drop it
> into your /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 directory, run mkfontdir
> and make the resource available to X by either updating your X
> resource database

Not really the resource database. You should make sure the directory is
on your font path. If you've never changed your font path,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 is probably on it, but I would recommend
using a completely different directory, so that your fonts won't be
affected by system upgrades. I put all my 'extra' fonts in
/usr/local/share/fonts.

If you are running xfs, the font path is set by the 'catalogue'
parameter in  the XFS config file (something like /etc/X11/fs/config);
you should also see

  FontPath   "unix/:<port_number>"

in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. If you're not running XFS, the font path is
set by the FontPath parameter in XF86Config-4.

(I can't remember how to do that off hand) or
> restarting your X server

If you don't want to restart X, you can add a new directory with

  xset fp+ /path/to/newfonts

then make the X server aware of the fonts with

  xset fp rehash

I think that may only work for the X server, not for XFS ... but I
haven't changed my font path in a long time.

By the way, DO NOT restart XFS with X running: your X session will
become unstable--or maybe it's just the clients that use fonts--either
way, bad things happen.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.