[CLUE-Tech] Recent Debian CD in the Tech Center or "anyone had succes using j igdo"

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Mon Dec 16 19:49:20 MST 2002

On Monday, 16 December 2002 at 20:55:58 +0000, Collins <erichey2 at attbi.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:55:48 -0700 "Young, Ed" <Ed.Young at echostar.com>
> wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>
> > 	I've never created a cd from an iso image but I wanted a
> > 	Debian CD
> > and decided to excercise my new broadband connection.
> > 	So, this weekend I tried using jigdo to download/compile the
> > 	iso
> > image and it all completed successfully with no errors, but the
> > resulting CD failed on the install.
>
> I must be missing something here.  What can be simpler than
> downloading an ISO image and burning it?  Obviously I'm not familiar
> with jigdo.

jigdo downloads each file, then builds the iso on your disk.

"Why jigdo is better than a direct download"

"Because it is faster! For various reasons, there are far fewer mirrors
for CD images than there are for the "normal" Debian archive.
Consequently, if you download from a CD image mirror, that mirror will
not only be further away from you, it will also be overloaded,
especially just after a release."

"Of course, a "normal" Debian mirror does not carry any CD images, so how
can jigdo download them there? jigdo achieves this by downloading
individually all the files that are on the CD. In the next step, all
these files are assembled in one big file which is an exact copy of the
CD image. However, all this happens behind the scenes - all that you
need to do is tell the download tool the location of a ".jigdo" file to
process."

	-- from http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/#why

--
Allons Rouler!