[CLUE-Tech] OpenOffice Math Functions Incorrect?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Dec 27 18:15:36 MST 2002

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 17:57:46 -0700
Tom Poindexter <tpoindex at nyx.net> wrote:

> > Using OpenOffice scalc, enter the following into a cell: =TAN(45)
> >
> > The tangent of 45 is 1 (according to my TI calculator). scalc says
> > it's 1.62. So, I fired up the old windows box, and tried it using
> > Excel -- same result.
> >
> > So, what's up with that?
>

> looks like scalc is operating in radians, not degrees.  perhaps there's
> a setting to switch to degrees, or you'll have to scale your results by

Thanks, it was right there in the help file, if I had been looking for
anything other than just the function name. There isn't any option to use
degrees by default, but =tan(radians(45)) works.

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5