[CLUE-Tech] cups and remote printing

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat Dec 28 21:38:42 MST 2002

* Dave Price (davep at kinaole.org) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just switched over to Mandrake on my desktop system - this uses cups.
> Previously, I had shared my /dev/lp0 printer as a queue named lj5 - this
> no longer works.
>
> Thru the cups web admin tools, I have created an lj5 printer identical
> to the Mandrake default 'Printer', but it still ignores requests from
> remote systems.  Any hints?

Cups uses a permission system that is set up sort of like apache.

You have 'directories' that you have to set up in cupsd.conf.  For my
printer, which my wife uses remotely, I have this set up in the
cupsd.conf file:

---------------------------
<Location /printers/epson>
# The Epson Photo Stylus 750
AuthType None
Order deny,allow
Allow from 127.0.0.1
Allow from 192.168.44.*
</Location>

There is also a 'Listen' option that you may or may not need to set.  It
would depend upon if cups listens on the interface you want to connect
over or not.

I found this whole set up to be painful when I first tried it.  But once
i figured it out, it is a nice system.  Cups should come with some pretty
extensive documentation.

Tim
==  Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net  ==
==  http://i148.denver.dsl.forethought.net  ==