[CLUE-Tech] how to troubleshoot smtp server

Jeffrey Greer cleaner at singlesconnection.org
Tue Feb 5 10:23:47 MST 2002

Hi,

I'm new to this list.  I plan to attend my first CLUE meeting next week and I
would like to get involved.

I've been using linux for 4 years, but I have not done much real system
administration.  I am having a problem setting up email on a dedicated linux
server I just purchased.  The remote machine is buddha.whitebuddha.com.  When
I send email from a remote machine via smtp it just gets lost.  Sendmail is
running at buddha and I can send email locally with pine, but nothing comes
in remotely.  I can't find anything in /var/log/maillog.  I'm running redhat
7.2.  I've configured the nameserver at www.dnsmadeeasy.com.  Dnsmadeeasy.com
automatically edits the soa file through a web form.  I've set up the MX
record to point to whitebuddha.com.

I don't really have any idea how to troubleshoot this or what docs to look
at.  Could someone here give me some suggestions?

Thanks

Here is part of an email that was returned to me: