[CLUE-Tech] Detecting possible hardware failures

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Feb 7 15:39:56 MST 2002

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Jed S. Baer wrote:
>
> *snip*
>
> > I grep'd through my tripwire logs, looked at all the usual logs, etc., but
> > haven't found any evidence of tampering, breakin, or any HW messages.
>
> You can't find *any* error messages in /var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog
> or any others?

Nope. I've since had it up sufficiently to snag a few files and print
out fstab. I've quit now that I've gotten a clean shutdown. But while it
was up, I couldn't get X started. For one thing, xfs would startup, but
fail immediately, again, with nothing in /var/log/messages.

> > The only background which now seems relevant is that I've been having some
> > mouse problems: left button stuck in a button-down state (but only when

> It definitely sounds like a hardware problem. I'm tempted to say it
> sounds like overheating or a hard drive about to die -- that's the only
> time I've ever had these kinds of random problems that couldn't be
> tied to an application. If you have any important data on this machine,
> I'd back it up pretty quick.

Well, considering how flaky it's been this morning, I agree. I suppose
it could be memory, or the mobo.

jed