[CLUE-Tech] System is Back

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Feb 9 12:06:55 MST 2002

Sorry for not staying in the thread, but it's over on the other machine.

I made a fortunate discovery, which is that the store where I bought the
mobo will replace under the mfr. warranty. Dunno if that's still their
policy, but it goes down in my book as reason to refer. So they are:
  PC Brokers
  At the NE corner of Bowles and Platte Canyon Dr. (Just west of Federal a
ways).

So, I dunno exactly what failed or why, but a new mobo fixed it. I'm just
glad these folks still had a couple'a KA7s on the shelf. Since they can't
get CPUs for 'em anymore, I suppose it isn't all that surprising.

So, I guess at this point, it's a matter of cogitating upon whether I need
to do anything else in the way of preventive measures. The heatsink
currently doesn't feel hot, but the case is currently open.

Somebody was wondering about the Athlon having plastic between the
heatsink and the CPU. I've never heard of that, and I haven't pulled the
stock heatsink off. I don't recall any of the overclocker sites mentioning
it, nor any particular difficulties in sticking a thermaltake or some
other cooler on an Athlon. A friend of mine mentioned he'd heard that
there's a sort of varnish type coating on top of the CPU, and if you
scratch it, your CPU will be dead.

I gotta find that abit monitor tool, I guess, and try to rig it for
alarms, if that's possible. Not abitpermon, there's another proggy, what
has "cc" in the name somewhere. I have it on my box, just can't seem to
find it.

Cheers,
jed

--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."