[CLUE-Tech] Synching time shell script, where to put it to autosynch?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Feb 10 10:18:09 MST 2002

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 10:05:45 -0700
Kevin Cullis <kevincu at orci.com> wrote:

> Jed,
>
> Here it is:
>
> if netdate -v tcp time.nist.gov; then
>    hwclock -w
> fi
>
> Per Jim Ockers comment last May concerning this (again, thanks Jim),
> I've got this running now, but where to place it so that I don't have to
> run it manually.

Assuming you're on a dialup, I'd stick it in ip-up.local. At least on a
RedHat system, the ip-up has a comment against modifying it. Presumably,
that's because when you update, it might get overwritten by the RPM. Thus,
any modification go in ip-up.local, and you don't lose them. But synching
everytime you dial up seems fine. I'm not familiar with this particular
method, but the ntp docs suggest against making large corrections - which
might be mostly related to how ntp functions, but seems good advice in any
case.

If I were on an always-there connection, I'd probably run it daily,
barring any other considerations.

--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."