[CLUE-Tech] Synching time shell script, where to put it to autosynch?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Feb 11 22:38:05 MST 2002

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 22:09:08 -0700
ian <iguy at ionsphere.org> wrote:

> Why aren't you just running ntpd?
>
> Doing something like ntpdate on a daily/weekly basis can really mess up
> your system.   Most programs can't handle major jumps in time safely.
> Some programs are known to corrupt data if time jumps to a time in the
> past while the program is running.
>
> Food for thought.

Interesting. The default /etc/rd.c/init.d/ntp script start off by running
ntpdate. The assumption being that it's better to get it set right first,
so ntpd doesn't have to start of with a large slewing/stepping. IIRC, if
your clock is too far off, ntpd just gives up. In fact, I recall that
happening when I first started running it. There is something in the docs
about "if the error is greater than ...".

--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."