[CLUE-Tech] Oracle on Linux in production?

Warren warren at guano.org
Sat Feb 16 18:38:11 MST 2002

Jim Ockers <ockers at ockers.net> wrote:

 > I just don't want to get bitten by the low-endedness of the
 > Linux architecture on this critical application.

Well, I don't know if I'd characterize Linux as low-end.  I wouldn't
 even consider Windoze low-end given the right hardware.

I administered 7 Oracle instances on two VA Linux boxes.  The 4 largest
 instances were between 40GB and 70GB and all ran 24 hrs/day for the
 whole year I was there without a hiccup.  Well, maybe I took them down
 once or twice, but no crashes.

The boxes were dual- 600Mhz Pentium III boxes each with a RAID5 disk
 array and ran RH6.0.

 > ...and you can't copy more than 2GB files to or from any NFSv2
 > software.

The 2GB limit on database file size was a big hemorrhoid, but I'm
 pretty sure that limitation was eliminated in kernel 2.4.  In fact, I
 think you could re-compile it out of 2.2.

 --

 </W>