[CLUE-Tech] KVM (Keyboard, Video, mouse) switch or ???? via Linux

David Snyder snyderd at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 16 23:08:20 MST 2002

Kevin Cullis wrote:

Personally I still prefer KVM switches....seeing boot messages is
helpful when things go badly.   My Belkin KVM works wonderfully on
Windows, BSD, and Linux.  Cabling is costly though.

Linux can be run "Headless" as you said.  You can telnet/ssh into the
other boxes and get full command line functionality.  In addition to
this, you can also fire up Xwindows applications if you're currently in
Xwindows by opening an Xterm, ssh/connect into the other machine, and
run whatever X application.

VNC can also help you do this.  Check the man pages for vncconnect,
vncpasswd,  vncserver, and  vncviewer.  I would strongly urge anyone not
to run VNC on a firewall machine though.

I hope I've been able to answer your question.

Regards,

David