[CLUE-Tech] specifying nameservers

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Mon Feb 18 19:55:07 MST 2002

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 09:25:46PM +0000, Jason Friedman wrote:
> Am I correct in saying that one specifies the nameserver(s) in
> resolv.conf?

Yes - and reread /etc/resolv.conf by HUPping bind or named, depending on
your distro.

> What steps are necessary to "restart" the selection process?  In other
> words, in resolv.conf I've listed nameserver A, B, and C, meaning that
> the OS will try A first, and if not successful B, etc.  Now I want the
> OS to try B first, then C, then A.

The bind book describes the algorithm by which name server sequence is
handled in some detail ... the gist of it seems to be that they are
initially tried in sequence, but eventually one will become successful,
and bind will use it until latencies are too bad, then move on to
another.

aloha (HTH)
dave