[CLUE-Tech] specifying nameservers

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Mon Feb 18 16:56:46 MST 2002

Dave Price wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 09:25:46PM +0000, Jason Friedman wrote:
> > Am I correct in saying that one specifies the nameserver(s) in
> > resolv.conf?
>
> Yes - and reread /etc/resolv.conf by HUPping bind or named, depending on
> your distro.

Umm, I don't have the book handy, but I think resolv.conf is used by
resolvers (the client piece), not named.  Nameservers use the root
nameservers and NS records they find to figure out where they send queries -
and they do have an algorithm for handling multiple NS records, as you said.

resolv.conf is used by libc (e.g., gethostbyname(3)) and nslookup (which may
use libc, I don't know).

I guess I could be wrong...