[CLUE-Tech] Adding A Second Processor

Chris K. Chew chris at fenetics.com
Wed Feb 20 22:09:43 MST 2002

Hello.

I am about to add a second processor to my machine.  I have compiled several
applications on it since installation (redhat 7.2), but have not yet
recompiled the kernel.  These applications include:

bind
openssl
apache
php
mysql
qmail
gd
freetype
ssh

I imagine that the second proc will not be used until after I recompile the
kernel with SMP support, given that RedHat ships with an straight kernel and
an SMP kernel and selects the appropriate one during install.  I only have
the straight kernel installed and am missing the 2.4.10SMP kernel.

Should I expect any problems with the software after I add the second
processor and recompile the kernel?  Should I expect the second processor to
be used before I recompile the kernel?  Will the kernel handle the use of
both, or do I need to recompile each application before they can make use of
the two processors?

Thanks,

Chris