[CLUE-Tech] Celron v. PIII on Linux

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Sun Feb 24 10:26:16 MST 2002

In the world of Linux, or Unix in general, what are the advantages
of a PIII over a Celeron....assuming they both have the same clock
speed, FSB speed, and level 2 onboard cache?

I'll qualify my question with a little on what apps I'll be running:

	DB (MySQL or Postgresql),
	compilers,
	X,
	Office Suite (don't know which),
	Gimp,
	apache & PHP,
	email.

This will be a development/workstation box.  No games...nothing against
'em, I just don't play 'em.

Are any of these apps in the Linux world written to take advantage
additional instruction set(s) available on the PIII (assuming that is
the difference between a PIII and Celeron)?

And, the reason I've limited this to Intel is I've already got the
Socket 370 mainboard.

--
Cheers!

Randy

Randy Arabie
GnuPG Key Info --

 Fingerprint: 7E25 DFA2 EF72 9551 9C6C  8AA6 6E8C A0F5 7E33 D981
 Key ID: 7C603AEF
 http://www.arabie.org/keys/rrarabie.gnupg