[CLUE-Tech] alphas and X

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Feb 24 11:43:49 MST 2002

Mike Staver wrote:

> I got Red Hat 7.1 running on this alpha now pretty good - in console
> mode.  I can't get X to work for the life of me, even though I found out
> it was a TGA2 graphics card in there made by Digital.  When I run
> Xconfigurator, that isn't an option, so I just try all 4 of the Digital
> options, but it never works.  Has anybody with an alpha got X running?

I tried with Debian Woody.  Didn't try very hard - just installing and
running gave me some strange snow.  But that's typical of my experience
running X from a distro.

At this point I have OpenBSD installed.  Since even console mode does wierd
things to the video (freq out of range on my 14" monitor) I was going to try
an X server on my athlon system and run clients off the alpha.  Saves
getting a kvm switch.