[CLUE-Tech] Celron v. PIII on Linux

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Mon Feb 25 12:59:13 MST 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Mike Staver wrote:

> Well, all I know is that I used to have the VP6 with dual Pentium III
> 866's @ 133 FSB, and things seemed ok.  The board wasn't rock solid
> stable (see my email about via chipsets), but from my understanding, I
> couldn't use the new FC-PGA2 type processors with it.  I *think* they
> have a different pin configuration??  Not 100% on that, but I think the
> FC-PGA2 is the new Pentium III processors, going up to 1.2 Ghz, and I
> guess the new celeron's are also using that socket type from what you've
> said.

It depends ;-)

Looking at the VP6-board.com site you recommended I found this thread
regarding the FC-PGA2 package CPU's:

http://www.vp6-board.com/UBB/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000430

As the thread indicates, it seems to me that Intel are putting out
several different PIII processors, including a Coppermine (old) with the
FC-PGA2 (new) thermal package.  Posters to that thread report success
with FC-PGA2 Coppermine PIII processors in the VP6.  Note the inclusion
of Coppermine, which I understand means 0.18 micron.  There are also
0.13 micron PIII out there, which I believe are the Tualatin...also
mentioned in the thread noted above.

--
Cheers!

Randy

Randy Arabie
GnuPG Key Info --

 Fingerprint: 7E25 DFA2 EF72 9551 9C6C  8AA6 6E8C A0F5 7E33 D981
 Key ID: 7C603AEF
 http://www.arabie.org/keys/rrarabie.gnupg