[CLUE-Tech] pricewatch prices in Denver area

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Feb 25 22:03:49 MST 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:34:07 -0700 (MST)
"Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jbrockmeier at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Doesn't anyone have a good recommendation for a local vendor with good
> service and reasonably cheap pricing? Preferably someplace where the
> response
> to any request isn't "Well, we could order that, but we don't have any
> in
> stock..."

It all depends upon how picky you want to be, and how far you're willing
to drive.

PC Brokers, who recently took a return on a mobo I bought last July.
  5856 S. Lowell #32
  (303) 347-1160

I didn't do an exhaustive survey of mobos they have in stock.

Back when I lived up North, I used a shop on 88th, near Gart Sports. PC
City, I think. Both I and a friend of mine have had good experiences with
them. They used to keep Tyan boards in stock.

DHE are nice folks as well, although being waaaaaaay out beyond Centenial
Airport isn't helpful (for me anyway).

I've never found it to be difficult to locate Tyan boards in Denver. I'm
pretty sure DHE keeps Tyan, ASUS, and ABit in stock. You might find the
selection of CPUs to be less than you'll have online, but IIRC, DHE can do
"next day" on whatever you want. I didn't have any trouble with a return
at DHE - my fault too (but I didn't even take the board out of the
static-bag, was just a momentary confustion ;-).

In fact, the only thing I haven't been able to find locally is a really
good case. Most of the last box I built, I bought online from Compu-Plus.
But I got the memory from Mushkin (on Colfax, near Bannock), the power
supply from PC Power and Cooling, and the case - man, I don't remember,
but it's way better than an Enlight, for example. I'd have to hunt a bit
for the mfr. Oh, I bought the monitor at CompUSA. Always like to point my
beady l'il eyes at a monitor before I buy it.

Really, a little time spent with the yellow pages making phone calls can
yield some good results. Also, many of the mfr. web sites will list local
retailers. Nope, not "pricewatch" level pricing. But you do pay for the
office space, and being able to walk in and talk to a person, and finger
the merchandise. When it comes to returns, I've had to return one mobo I
bought online, and it was a royal pain in the arse.

--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."