[CLUE-Tech] power supply fried my motherboard

Jeffrey Greer cleaner at singlesconnection.org
Tue Feb 26 05:55:34 MST 2002

In the last two months my dual celeron with abit bp 6 mbd computer has had
trouble powering on.  Recently it wouldn't power on at all, but the fans on
the motherboard would work.  I thought the motherboard was bad.  I bought a
new abit kt7a motherboard put the new system together and experienced a lot
of flakiness as I powered the system on.  Problems in hardware seemed to be
occuring randomly as I switched out components.  After a couple of hours of
switching components I smelled something burning on the new computer, then
nothing worked.  I've concluded my power supply fried my motherboard.

I have a Premier ps-atx-300sn 300w ps. (btw: I bought this locally)  I will
never buy a cheap power supply again.  I believe power supplies are the worst
system killers of all.  I didn't try to buy cheap power supplies.  I just
never paid attention.

I now think I will go with an Enermax power supply.  These seem to be
recommened by a lot of people.  I'm considering these two supplies:

http://www.mpcparts.com
Enermax 350W ATX 2.03 PS Dual Fans WHISPER QUIET EG365P-VE FC  $46.00
Enermax 430W ATX 2.03 PS Dual Fans WHISPER QUIET EG465P-VE FC  $76.00

My components will be - socket a mbd, 756mb pc100 memory, athlon xp 1600,
7200 wd drive, 5400 maxtor drive, ati radeon all in wonder video,
soundblaster live, nic, scsi cd burner.

Are there any compelling reason to go with the 430w supply?  Also, can I get
any ps locally of same quality and price?

One more question.  What is the probability of my athlon xp cpu being fried
also?  So far I've never seen a fried cpu, however I believe athlons are
sensitive cpus.