[CLUE-Tech] power supply fried my motherboard

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Tue Feb 26 09:44:07 MST 2002

About the athlon - I've never fried one, and don't plan on doing so.
Athlons aren't sensitive - just not very smart like pentiums, that's
their only downfall in my opinion.  By smart, I mean they don't have the
theram protection like the pentium III and higher has. The pentium 4 has
a much more advanced thermal device than the p III, but the p III will
still shutdown at a certain temprature.  The athlon is supposed to do
the same, but only if the temp increase was gradual enough for the chip
to catch it.  They've said that if you're heatsink falls completely off,
it happens too quick and you've lost your chip.  However, I've never had
that happen.  Worst case for me so far - my fan ball bearings have
started to wear out, slowing down the fan, and causing my chip to heat
up.  No biggy, I think my machine just locked up and shut it down, and
when I turned it back on, I could hear the grinding sound of my fan.
Turns out, I had a cable hitting the blades that over time had ruined
the fan.  So, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you plan on running your
athlon without a heatsink from time to time :)