[CLUE-Tech] My transition

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Feb 26 11:48:32 MST 2002

On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 11:08, Michael J. Hammel wrote:

> The problem is that you're tied to some pretty proprietary stuff there.  It's
> hard to tell if anyone has made client sides to any of them for Linux.  At
> this point, I've only just begun digging into MS stuff cuz the wife needs her
> XP box to work with my network and web sites and I'm trying to generate some
> GIMP CDs for Win32.  Hopefully someone with more MS DB experience can help
> you out.  I don't know who makes those products you're using, but it might be
> useful to drop them a line asking for Linux-based client side tools
> availability.  At least that lets them know people are interested in such
> things.

As others mentioned, they do seem to have you rather tightly bound with
proprietary junk!  ;-)

As a transitional strategy, you could use VMWare.  Yes, its a bit pricey
($199 for the Win2K guest OS kit):

https://www.vmware.com/request_processor?nextPage=/vmwarestore/newstore/category.jsp&action=CATALOG.GETGROUP&application=store&ProductGroupCode=WKST-OS-KIT

but it would give you 100% compatibility while you simultaneously run
Linux and investigate your applications alternatives.  Also, its a bit
slower than running windows on the native hardware (10-20% is a common
figure), but it really does what they advertise.  And in my experience,
it works quite nicely.

Ed

ps - Having plenty of RAM (enough for both OSes simultaneously)
     does a lot to improve VMWare's performance.  And RAM is
     pretty cheap these days...

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:       ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu