[CLUE-Tech] My transition

Tue Feb 26 14:53:37 MST 2002

I am a Windows NT/2000 MCSE, and I'd like to enhance this point.

Native mode does not affect the client, only the Domain Controllers.  A
Windows 2000 domain in "mixed" mode can have Windows NT BDC's, a Windows
2000 domain in native mode cannot.  Window 2000 Security Templates _can_
affect the client negatively, but the default template does not do so.

Your Linux box has some chance of using the Active Directory as an
authenticator using IMAP  (which W2K supports natively), YP/NIS (which W2K
can emulate, after installing "Services for UNIX"), or simply as a
pass-through authenticator for those servers you access.  The third option I
have used many times, and it goes something like this:  Set your workgroup
to the NetBIOS name of your domain.  Use 'smbmount' with appropriate options
to mount any/all network resources you use frequently.  'smbmount' will pass
your workgroup, username, and password to the server, which will relay them
to a DC for validation.  Once you have the mounting statements worked out,
consider writing yourself a shell-script (batch file) to do the mounting(s).
If you have trouble with this, I can help.

-----Original Message-----
From: clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us
[mailto:clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us]On Behalf Of Matt Gushee
Sent: Tuesday, 26 February, 2002 11:22
To: clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] My transition

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 12:08:53PM -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:

> > 4) Some great howto on getting my new linux box to authenticate against
> > a windows active directory box.
>
> The problem is that you're tied to some pretty proprietary stuff there.
It's
> hard to tell if anyone has made client sides to any of them for Linux.

This reminds me of one important detail: Active Directory has 2 modes --
I think they're called "native mode" and "mixed mode". Mixed mode is
designed to work with legacy Windows clients, while native mode is for
all-Win2k (or Win2k + XP?) networks -- and once you enable it, you can't
revert to mixed mode without completely reinstalling Active Directory.
If your network is running in mixed mode, there's a good chance you can
integrate Linux into it. If not ... grab those rosary beads, or pour your-
self a stiff drink, whichever you prefer.
--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com