[CLUE-Tech] My transition

Tue Feb 26 20:15:37 MST 2002

My recommendation(s) for your situation. Pick one you like:
1) Use LDAP/IMAP from Active Directory as your authenticator.  You will
still have local accounts, but they will be password-less, and you won't
have to create them.  Sorta like how it works on an NT dorkstation.
2) Install "Services for UNIX" to your nearest Domain Controller, and use
YP/NIS as your authenticator.  Same as above.
3) Read up on the 'password synchronization' portions of "Services for UNIX"
or Samba.  You will end up with password-synchronized accounts on every box,
but at least it will be automated.

-----Original Message-----
From: clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us
[mailto:clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us]On Behalf Of Mike Staver
Sent: Tuesday, 26 February, 2002 15:05
To: clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] My transition

Yeah, I'm currently mounting my windows partitions like this:

mount -t smbfs -ousername=administrator,uid=nobody -opasswd=""
//gtn/exports /home/exports

Seems to work well, but my problem is setting up user accounts on each
linux box, when I wish I could just be using the active directory user
accounts with root privs for some stuff, rather than creating accounts
on every box.  Or, I guess I could have the windoze server running
active directory, and have a seperate linux box running something.  So,
in the end, I would only need to add accounts 2 places, rather than 15
or so.

"David L. Willson" wrote:

> I am a Windows NT/2000 MCSE, and I'd like to enhance this point.
>
> Native mode does not affect the client, only the Domain Controllers.  A
> Windows 2000 domain in "mixed" mode can have Windows NT BDC's, a Windows
> 2000 domain in native mode cannot.  Window 2000 Security Templates _can_
> affect the client negatively, but the default template does not do so.
>
> Your Linux box has some chance of using the Active Directory as an
> authenticator using IMAP  (which W2K supports natively), YP/NIS (which W2K
> can emulate, after installing "Services for UNIX"), or simply as a
> pass-through authenticator for those servers you access.  The third option
> have used many times, and it goes something like this:  Set your workgroup
> to the NetBIOS name of your domain.  Use 'smbmount' with appropriate
options
> to mount any/all network resources you use frequently.  'smbmount' will
pass
> your workgroup, username, and password to the server, which will relay
them
> to a DC for validation.  Once you have the mounting statements worked out,
> consider writing yourself a shell-script (batch file) to do the
mounting(s).
> If you have trouble with this, I can help.

                                -Mike Staver
                                 staver at fimble.com
                                 mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com
                                 http://www.fimble.com/staver