[CLUE-Tech] My transition

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Wed Feb 27 22:01:48 MST 2002

On Wednesday 27 February 2002 08:58 pm, Dave Anselmi wrote:

> Since CVS is reportedly better, use it - it is certainly adequate to your
> needs.

Someone collected several VSS --> CVS transition scripts:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/vsstocvs

Also ----

Mike (and Dave) -- I wanted to point out a major difference between VSS and
CVS.

In VSS, there is strick locking of files.  This means that only one person
can check out the file and everyone else is locked out:

(Using VSS)
You:  Hey bob, I need to work on foo.c and you have it checked out.
Bob:  Sorry, not going to be ready for 14 days...
You:  Bob, you sorry bastard!  I need to get this fix in now!  Our site is
down in Zimbabwe!
Bob:  Sorry dude!  My version does not compile right now since I decided to
rewrite the entire module!

Okay - we know this is unrealistic because you could get the previous version
of foo.c from VSS before bob mangled it.  The point is that with VSS someone
-- namely you or Bob has to do something out of the ordinary to accomodate an
emergency fix.  In CVS, not so!

In CVS, there is no concept of a locked file.  CVS = Concurrent Version
System.  This means that both you and Bob have your own copies of foo.c and
it does not matter why ob's code does not compile because you can commit your
changes and get the Zimbabwe server back on-line while idiot bob tries to
figure out why is #define broke the CPP!

So, after you commit the production fix to foo.c and then 14 days later when
bob has fixed his version of foo.c and then commits it, CVS will
automatically merge yours and bob's version of foo.c.

(Using CVS)
You:  (On the phone with Zimbabwe).  Yes, sir!  The fix is committed and your
server is back on-line!
Bob:  Dude, this CVS system rocks!

Read more exciting information in the CVS manual:
http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_10.html#SEC83

Finally, there are several CVS GUIs.  We have found that folks who used VSS
adapted to WinCVS GUI faster than cvs command line.  So, your colleague may
be comfortable with a GUI interface to CVS.  Personally, I like the command
line, but I am a command-line kinda guy...

Later,
Jeff