[CLUE-Tech] My transition

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Thu Feb 28 17:01:13 MST 2002

On 02-26 13:33, Grant Johnson wrote:

> The JDBC connection for MSSQL is not ready for prime time, and
> the ODBC is really just a pipeline to another machine (maybe even the
> machine that the DB server is running on) to an ODBC connection on that
> machine which must be Windows.

Not true. There are several Type 4 JDBC (some even implementing JDBC 2.0 spec)
drivers available for MS SQL Server. Some of the newer ones (including
M$'s own) are in beta, of course, and some only implement JDBC 2.0
partially. But not all need ODBC by any extent...

As for not being ready for prime time, I have been on at least four projects
where the reference implementation (alas, ODBC) driver from Sun for MS SQL
Server was used...all projects are in production as we speak. They run from
Windows, but it's possible to get the ODBC client piece onto *nix, no?

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome