[CLUE-Tech] Re: DSL (Cisco Modem)

jason at matchingmoms.com jason at matchingmoms.com
Tue Jan 1 12:50:25 MST 2002

Lots of people have Cisco routers advertised on Ebay.  I bid on several,
losing each time (highest winning bid was $145 plus shipping for the $300
(new) package from Qwest).

Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] NAT'ing DSL recommendations?
<3C200BA0.8D5FA963 at americanisp.net>
To: clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us
From: Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 10:38:10 -0700

On 12-18 20:38, Dave Anselmi wrote:
> Sean LeBlanc wrote:
>
> > I have a non-techie friend who has DSL - they are buying a second
computer,
> > and may want to have both networked. They have Qwest DSL, and so I don't
> > really know much about DSL, although I installed the PCI card for them
and
> > set up networking on that (On windoze).
> >
> > I imagine NAT'ing DSL is similar to the way I NAT cable modem (@Home),
but
> > instead of two NICs, I have 1 NIC and 1 DSL "modem"? I'm thinking about
what
> > to buy and/or put together to do this. Something with the least amount
of
> > (my) intervention and maintenance as possible. Remember, I'm talking
about
> > VERY non-techie folks.
>
> If you get them an external DSL modem (Cisco 67x), NAT is set up by the
default
> Qwest config.  Plug all boxes into a hub/switch and away it goes (you
might want
> to secure the modem config some).
>
> I don't know of a source for Cisco modems, other than Qwest.  I'm sure you
can
> get the right CAP/DMT from them, for an arm and a leg (well, at least call
and
> ask how much - for new customers it's about $100, but that's probably a
> special).
>
> For an internal modem, there seems to be skepticism (as already expressed)
that
> they work with non-Windows.  But, Win2k has a feature in dial-up
networking that
> allows a machine to share it's (dial-up) modem with other machines on the
> network.  So it may be possible to get the Windows machine to do this with
the
> DSL modem.  You might poke around in it, and check the MS site.

Thanks for the tips. I'm sure it prevented much wailing and gnashing of
teeth.

I've still yet to do the NAT'ing for these folks (their second computer is
still not shipped)...but I was looking at wireless routers for myself, and
noticed something that seems to do what these folks may need, and avoid
wires running down hallways and stairwells:
http://store.yahoo.com/shopnetlux/di711.html

Does anyone have any experience with a wireless network, BTW? Is Bluetooth
still in the running for a standard? The above implements 802.11b. I may
actually be employed in the near future (well, I have a shot, anyway), and
so I'd like to take advantage of the low, low prices if that happens. And
things are dirt-cheap right now. :)

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome