[CLUE-Tech] seeking a Kodak ...

David Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Thu Jan 3 13:04:30 MST 2002

I would like to throw in my enthusiastic recommendation for an
alternated, the Kodak DC5000.  It does everything you want, up to 2
Megapixel, nevermind the points, which are always misquoted anyway.
The DC5000 is available for about $265 after shipping from Harmony
Computers.  Harmony is slow and unresponsive, but their prices rock.
About the cam:
gPhoto 4.3, as shipped in Red Hat 7.2, talks to it just fine, as a
DC280, on /dev/usb/dc2xx0.  gPhoto can be launched with switches to do
picture-taking, downloading and such-like from the CLI.
There are a half-dozen or so other CLI utilities that will talk to it.
A bunch of them were on the LINUXformat CD for December 2001.
The image quality is as good as any other digital camera I've seen.  See
DHTML presentation source (ftp://mailman.thegeek.nu/pub/DHTML_class.tar)
for samples.
It is also water and dust resistant; there are little grommeted doors
over the ports and batteries, but NOT submersible.
I've had mine for about two months, have taken almost half a thousand
pix with it, and I am entirely pleased.