[CLUE-Tech] email and newsgroup problem

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 6 10:12:20 MST 2002

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, joel wrote:

> My Qwest ISP just was migrated over to MSN. The new account requires secure password authentication, both for e-mail and for newsgroups. I've been using Evolution and Pan all along, but nw it looks like neither of these programs will work any longer. Anyone out there familiar with this?

Yeah, it's called a "land-grab" -- you've just been assimilated.

AFAIK, your choices are abandon Qwest/MSN for a better ISP or
switch to Windows.

Don't feel bad, though -- this is just "innovation" designed to
give you a better computing "experience" through the MSN and
Qwest "alliance." (Amusingly on their FAQ this addressed as an
"offer" -- This is obviously a usage of the word "offer" that
I'm unfamiliar with...)

In other words, if Microsoft can't force you to use Windows by
any other means they'll do their best to buy out any service that
might be even remotely friendly to non-Microsoft alternatives and
convert them.

Get this -- MSN doesn't even support NT, and has issues with XP!
http://www.qwest.net/nav4/msn/faq.html#how

There is a form for Mac users (note no option for Linux or other
OSes) to opt out of the transition until there's a service for
Mac. Perhaps you can squeak out temporarily there...

Good luck.

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/