[CLUE-Tech] Email program mailing list question

Mark Cuny clue at stardyne.org
Mon Jan 7 10:21:14 MST 2002

Re: Lyris software

I've worked with it extensively while working for TWA airlines.  We
did mass emailings (opt-in list) once a week to approximately 300,000
people.

We had access to an OC-3 pipe and had a pretty hefty machine (dual
pentium III 600 MHz and 1 Gig of RAM running Red Hat Linux 6.2).

Advantages
1. 300,000 emails in approximately 5 hours.
2. Nice Web interface using a specialized version of Apache.
3. Good logging.
4. Nice ability to remove bad email addresses.
5. Can import lists of email addresses for an automated list update
system.
6. Many user configurable options to allow different types of uses.
7. Easy to set up.

Disadvantages
1. Expensive.  If I remember correctly, it was abou $10,000.00 for up
to approximatey 500,000 people.
2. Needs weekly maintenance to maintain its propriatery database.
Basically, you take down the service and pack the database once a
week.

Any other questions, feel free to email me.

- Mark Cuny