[CLUE-Tech] memory leak

Collins Richey erichey2 at attbi.com
Sat Jan 12 17:32:21 MST 2002

[ snips ]

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 00:23:11 -0000
jason at matchingmoms.com wrote:

> My system is leaking memory.  When my system first boots up and launches all
> the services it's leaving 300MB of 384MB available.  My memory usage keeps
> climbing until, after a few days, I've only got a few MB left of 384MB
> available.  I've examined by processes and don't see anything zombied or
> anything that looks out of place.

Unless I miss my guess, this is probably quite normal.  Linux doesn't necessarily free up used memory until it is needed again.  So, as long as you are not using much swap, you don't really have a memory leak; you're just getting the max use of your memory.

An older and wiser hand may put that in more technical terms

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
WWTLRD? - FreeBSD 4.4 + xfce + sylpheed