[CLUE-Tech] Hardware Questions

Collins Richey erichey2 at attbi.com
Sat Jan 12 21:59:14 MST 2002

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 20:58:54 -0700
"JOEL COHEN" <cjabbe at msn.com> wrote:

> Okay...
>
> There's a place I've used a couple of times on Evans and Monaco, called Comp-U-Me. They have pretty good prices, and the owner is very knowledgeable about hardware, compatibility issues etc... Unfortunately, I don't have a telephone number.
>
> Personally, I like AMD. Remember, if you go with one of the new XP chips, you need to do a new O/S install for Windoze (or a kernel rebuild for Linux) because of the SSE instruction set. Look for DDR memory and a 266 FSB.
>
> Sorry about the line wrap. I'm being forced to use MSN e-mail, since I got "migrated" from Qwest to MSN. Yeech.

> On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, JOEL COHEN wrote:
>
> > Are you sure you want to build a new machine? It might not cost you much more to buy a new machine, and you'll save yourself a good deal of time. Once you figure in a new motherboard (yes, you will need to buy a new one), CPU, memory (yes, you will have to replace what you've got), and maybe a new video card, you'll end up spending just as much as a new system.
>
> Saving time isn't all it's cracked up to be. Buying a pre-built
> system saves a little money, but it usually means getting
> inferior parts. (Not to mention paying the Microsoft Tax if you
> buy a Name Brand...)

That's what makes horse trading great!  There's more than one way to get there.  I personally don't mind tinkering with any kind of software, but I hate opening a computer case, because I know so little about it.  I don't repair my own automobiles, either.

I pay a couple hundred more to have a local dealer whom I trust put together a system for me.  The one I have now is going on three years; it's a rebuild from the prior system (two years) whose motherboard died.  There are quite a few reputable dealers in the Denver area who are building systems with quality products, and I prefer giving them the business.

When I retire my K6/II box, it will probably go to my mother-in-law for web surfing for a few more years.

For the most part, I'd say AMD all the way.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
WWTLRD? - FreeBSD 4.4 + xfce + sylpheed