[CLUE-Tech] PayPal

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 15 06:26:28 MST 2002

On 14 Jan 2002, Ed Hill wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 22:47, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> > >
> > > I do not think I would trust PayPal with my bank account info, especially for
> > > on-line transactions.  With a credit card, my liability is limited for fraudulent
> > > charges.  Is there any limit for ACH transactions (either from the bank or from
> > > PayPal)?  Sounds spooky to me, although their motivation makes perfect sense.
> >
> > It makes sense, but they go out of their way to lie to their customers about
> > it. I haven't "verified" with them, so I haven't experienced the same problems
> > that Jim has. However, I tried to communicate with them about this policy, and
> > all I could get was boiler-plate set of responses that tried to convince me
> > how wonderful it would be if I verified my account and all the features it
> > would enable. I had four exchanges with them and never got a response to any
> > of my questions.
> >
> > I won't be using PayPal again.
>
> Smart move, IMHO.
>
> PayPal won't let me withdraw the last few dollars out of my account with
> them until I "verify" it by giving them the info for at least one of my
> bank accounts.  As if.  I'm glad its not much, since I've no intentions
> of submitting to their new terms.

I cancelled my account last night. Surprisingly, it was very easy to do.

> I think anyone who is foolish enough to turn over their bank account
> info to PayPal is just begging to get ripped off.  And perhaps deserves
> it for being so careless...

I highly recommend that anyone considering using PayPal read some of the
information at "NoPayPal.com" and pass it on to their friends. It's too
bad that PayPal isn't living up to its promise -- there is a genuine need
for a service like theirs. Accepting credit cards is pricey business,
and it's not a trivial thing for small businesses and individuals to do.

Anybody have a couple of million dollars to spare to create a competing
service? Looks like the market needs one...

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/