[CLUE-Tech] Collaboration on small PHP/Postgres Project?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Jan 22 18:33:10 MST 2002

Greetings Folks.

I'm working on a little project here, mainly to learn more about PHP. It's
a small web database application, for getting my job-hunting information
more well organized. Noting that the real benefit is more in the learning
experience, than in the result, still, it seemed good to choose a useful
(I hope) project.

My intent, once it's all nice and nifty, is to make the complete source
available, under some free/open terms, probably something less restrictive
than the GPL, since this isn't a major project.

I have a first cut at the database. I haven't even started insterting rows
yet. If anyone would care to comment, contribute, sneer, etc., I'd
appreciate the input on how this might be improved. I'm not gonna start
writing PHP code until I feel like I'm on solid ground with the database.
Keep in mind that the intent, at least initially, is to keep it simple.

Odd thoughts running through my head as I'm typing are that it should
accomodate personal as well as company contacts, and perhaps organizations
(such as the Internet Chamber of Commerce) as well as companies (the
company table can be renoberated to allow this, I think).

I'm assuming there won't be 30 people getting involved, so I plan on
either using Zonker's TWiki (with his blessing), or just ad-hoc e-mails
for keeping coordinated. Periodic updates via my website will no doubt
show up.

Please let me know off-list if you want to be a regular collaborator. For
that matter, comments, suggestions, etc. should be off-list as well.

Those wanting to have a look at what my crazed mind considers a first-pass
at SQL can look here:
  http://www.rockchucker.com/jobhunter/schema.sql.gz

Cheers,
jed
--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."