[CLUE-Tech] Banging my head on apache.

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Wed Jan 23 16:06:29 MST 2002

Old Scenario:

 www server was 192.168.0.2 (internal dedicated box)
 iptables forwarded trafic going to my public IP  to the internal box

New Scenario:

  New firewall is "strong enough" to be www server.
  Install apache on firewall
  disable (delete rules) forwarding of port 80 traffic and restart
    iptables

Problem:  hitting port 80 of the firewall doesn't connect, through both
netscape and telnet.  It has been opened up in the iptables rules...

In the messages log I see this though:
Jan 23 16:04:33 wally kernel: IN=eth0 OUT=eth1 SRC=12.253.54.145 DST=192.168.0.2 LEN=60 TOS=0x10 PREC=0x00 TTL=60 ID=13845 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1556 DPT=80 WINDOW=5840 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

Traffic is still being sent to the 192.168.0.2 server...

iptables:
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
first      all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:ssh state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:https state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:auth state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:ftp state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:smtp state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:www state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp spt:ntp
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp spt:ntp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:domain
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:domain
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp spt:ftp
local      all  --  anywhere             anywhere
cleanup    all  --  anywhere             anywhere

I have completely deleted the forwarding rules and flushed the tables
(verified) and restarted.

It's gotta be something stupid I'm overlooking.

:wq!
                                \_       that important!
DISCLAIMER:
FYI: