[CLUE-Tech] DSL networking issue

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Thu Jan 24 07:05:05 MST 2002

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, David Snyder wrote:

> OK so the Cisco has some NAT capabilities (10.0.0.x) and on top of that
> you're using a firewall that has extra NAT (192.168.x.x)?  This can be
> bad, it can cause major problems with some protocols (https, smtp).  I
> did this once...

I've got this same setup...and it appears to be working.  I just got my
network configured last week.  The Cisco 678 handles the PPP link between
me and my ISP, hands out the IP to my firewall and NATs all traffic to it.

My firewall NATs everything again to my internal network, does DHCP and DNS
for my internal network.  I have SMTP and HTTP portforwarded to their respective
servers behind the firewall.

> I would first recommend seeing if you can get the cisco to not do NAT
> and allow your Linux box to do the authentication.

I didn't know you could configure the 678 in that manner.  My ISP said it, the
Cisco, had to negotiate and hold the external IP.  Maybe I didn't phrase the
question properly?

> That and isn't Qwest going to be shoving MSN in your face soon?

I signed up for my DSL in December, and was able to request an ISP other than
MSN.

--

Cheers!

Randy

Randy Arabie
GnuPG Key Info --

 Fingerprint: 7E25 DFA2 EF72 9551 9C6C  8AA6 6E8C A0F5 7E33 D981
 Key ID: 7C603AEF
 http://www.arabie.org/keys/rrarabie.gnupg