[CLUE-Tech] DSL networking issue

Chris K. Chew chris at fenetics.com
Thu Jan 24 09:06:12 MST 2002

Your routing table looks fishy to me.  First, you should have stars
(default) or addresses in the gateway column for each of your routes.
Second, the 10.0.0.1 gateway is accessible from eth0 according to your
diagram, but route tells you that it will use eth1 when looking for
10.0.0.1.  In redhat, you should have some
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* files that tell redhat how to
configure nics at startup.  I would think that ifcfg-eth0 should look
something like:

DEVICE=eth0
BROADCAST=255.255.255.255
IPADDR=10.0.0.3
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=10.0.0.0
GATEWAY=10.0.0.1
ONBOOT=yes

My first guess is that there you have something else on the BROADCAST or
NETWORK lines, causing redhat to think that you want your routing to be
different than it really ought to be.

After you make changes, run the following command to restart your
networking:

/etc/init.d/network restart

You can also use the route command to change your routing table until the
next time you restart.  You should know this for non-redhat-compliance days.

When troubleshooting network issues, I always start at the very bottom.
"Can I ping the closest machine?  No.  Do I have the correct ip?  Yes.  Do I
have link lights at both ends of the cable?  Yes.  Do I have the routing set
up to let me get to the closest machine?  Maybe.  Oh, then it must be a
routing issue."

Good luck!

Chris